Archive for February, 2018

1980s Taste of Alresford – 2: Soup Dishes

…………………..Stories from residents at the time

 

taste of alreThe following are descriptions by Alresford families of their houses/homes, and their lives in the early 1980s, provided to the charity recipe book ‘A Taste of Alresford’ published by Sally March, on behalf of Oxfam. There have already been several extracts from this book published in stories on this website. Most are listed under the “Taste of Alresford” tag, they include stories about the Hobby Horse, Beresford House, The Cricketer’s Pub and the Golf Course, Fulling Mill, and Anderson’s green-grocers.

The introduction to the book was written by John Arlott, which is also featured in one story, and his life here in the old Sun Inn is described in another AlresfordMemories story.

The authors and their recipe subjects for Soup dishes are as follows – all written in the early 1980s: TO GET THE RECIPES YOU NEED TO BUY THE BOOK!

 

John [and Betty] Bevan, The Manor Farm, Old Alresford.

‘The Alresford and District Annual Agricultural Show’

‘The entries in all classes are numerous, and the Show and Dinner are expected to be a great success’ proclaimed the advertisement in ‘The Hampshire Chronicle’ in December 1909. With such optimism, the Alresford and District Annual Agricultural Show began. Seventy five years later, despite two World Wars and epidemics of foot and mouth disease, the Show is the major event in the Alresford year, held nowadays at Tichborne Park.

Cattle and horses, sheep, goats and pigs, cereal and produce are shown, and there are more than a hundred Trade and Exhibition stands. The Horticultural tent bulges with fat onions and enormous dahlias, and visitors to the Rural Craft Tent are fascinated by displays of antique-style lace, pottery and painting, hand-turned wood and home-spun wool. But for most of us, the Show is especially a social occasion – meeting and greeting, and a spot of liquid refreshment, plus fun for all ages with Punch And Judy and the Perins school band.

The present Chairman is Mr John Bevan of Manor Farm, whose father, Mr J A Bevan, was President of the Show in 1958.

Recipe: Cold Watercress Soup

 

Betty [and John] Bevan, The Manor Farm, Old Alresford.

The Manor Farm illustrates Alresford agriculture very well. Besides the 450 acres of mixed farming, Mr Bevan has 3 acres of watercress, and 4 large ‘stews’ od trout, with 5000-6000 fish in each. His father, Mr J A Bevan, sent off the first consignment of watercress from Alresford railway station.

Today it is harvested all the year round: lorries take it to Hurn Airport, from where it is flown in refrigerated containers to London, the Midlands and the North. ‘Watercress is reckoned to be a sure fire cure for a hangover’.

Farm stock includes 100 dairy cattle, 40 calves and 25 in-calf heifers. They grow winter wheat and barley, some for malting, (for beer) and some for seed.

Recipe: Royal Watercress Soup

 

Terry and Sara McTurk, The Old School House Restaurant, 60 West Street.

The ‘Old School House’ is the original home of Perins Free Grammar School (Perins Community School). In 1774, Robert Boyes, Master of Perin’s Grammar School, wrote*: ‘The school was founded in 1698 by Christopher Perin ‘for educating 19 poor men’s sons in the Latin tongue, writing accounts etc. Every scholar was to pay one shilling a year for his admission, and one shilling a year towards providing rods and brooms to be used in the school. The School House is a plain strong building standing at the bottom of West Street, The school itself is in a large, very lofty room adjoining the dwelling house (occupied by the schoolmaster).

Today this building is the home of the Chef-Proprietors, Terry and Sara McTurk, who, with 25 years combined catering experience behind them,were delighted to discover the Old School House and to have such a good reception accorded to their style of cooking.

*‘The History of Alresford’ by A J Robertson.

Recipe: Cream of Parsley Soup.

 

Joan Riley, The Nythe House, Old Alresford.

Dr and Mrs Riley have lived in Alresford for over 30 years. Their home is an old Victorian house on the Old Alresford side of the big pond. Dr Riley is a partner in the Alresford Group Surgery in Station Road.

Recipe: Iced Carrot and Orange Soup.

 

Elinor Gush, The Fulling Mill, Old Alresford.

When Mr and Mrs Bryan Gush bought and restored the derelict Fulling Mill standing astride the lovely River Alre, they little realised that in 30-odd years it would attract so many visitors from all over the world.

In the 13th century, the English wool staple was at Winchester, where wool was sorted and graded. The Fulling Mill probably dates from then, soon after Bishop de Lucy had his Great Weir, and where the River Alre now runs purposefully along its new path.  The Mill was built above the water, with a smooth slope down into it, where woollen cloth could be washed and laid out to be dressed with powdered chalk (there being no Fuller’s earth in the district). It was then trodden or beaten to rid it of excess oil, and to shrink and concentrate the loosely woven cloth. The industry declined when the staple was moved to ‘English’ Calais, sometime before 1452.

The Old Mill, almost surrounded by running water, has the most beautiful garden, designed and cared for by Mr and Mrs Gush. They have also developed a small nursery, alongside the river, near where the old open swimming pool used to be. By selling its produce to passing visitors, they have raised £27,000 for charity since 1974.

Recipe: A Simplified Bortsch

 

Country Fare, Craft Gallery, 11 East Street.

Where would you find drunken sailors in Alresford? As skittles in Country Fare Where would you find a silver deck chair? In the jewellery case at Country Fare. Where would you find a hunter on an elephant? As a teapot. Or a six foot high tulip? As a lamp. Where do you find the smartest people in town? In Country Fare

Country Fare displays and sells original crafts from the British Isles.

Recipe: Juan’s Gazpacho.

 

Mike and Peewee Burchett, The Cricketer’s Arms, Tichborne Down.

The Cricketer’s Arms takes its name from an earlier pub, but Mike Burchett, its Landlord, is a well-known local cricketer, having captained Winchester and played for Tichborne and the famous ‘Hampshire Hogs’.

The pub was purpose built in the 1920’s, with a clubroom attached to it for the use of the neighbouring Golf Club. The first tenant, Mr W Boniface, was in fact the Club’s Professional.

Today Mike and Peewee welcome guests to the comfort of a Lounge bar, where families may sample a wide menu; to a public bar, and a poolroom-cum-children’s room. In the garden are tables, children’s swings and a trampoline. There are toilet facilities for the physically handicapped, and French windows with a ramp for wheelchairs.

The Cricketer’s Arms is very much a family pub, with good bar food and a friendly welcome to Alresford residents and visitors from further afield.

Recipe: Stilton and Celery Soup.

In Part 3 the recipes provided will introduce various fish courses.

Advertisements

1980s Taste of Alresford – 1: Starter dishes

……From residents of the time

taste of alre

A well used copy of the 1985 Oxfam recipe book

The following are descriptions by Alresford families of their houses/homes, and their lives in the early 1980s, provided to the charity recipe book published by Sally March, on behalf of Oxfam. There have already been several extracts from this book published in stories on this website. Most are listed under the “Taste of Alresford” tag: they include stories about the Hobby Horse, Beresford House, The Cricketer’s Pub and the Golf Course, Fulling Mill, and Anderson’s green-grocers.

The introduction to the book was written by John Arlott, which is also featured in one story, and his life here in the old Sun Inn is described in another AlresfordMemories story.

The authors and their recipe subjects for Starters are as follows – all written in the early 1980s: TO GET THE RECIPES YOU NEED TO BUY THE BOOK!

 

Marjorie Fuller, Villa Kedros, 11 Dover Close

“Mrs Fuller is secretary of the Alresford branch of the Townswomen’s Guild, whose aim is to “Advance the education of women”, and to encourage them to contribute to their own community. Joining TG is a very good way of making friends. There are handicrafts and cookery classes, play-readings and outings, interesting and educational talks.”

Recipe provided: Jellied Hors D’Oeuvres

 

Kitchen Elegance, 34 West Street

Kitchen Elegance specialises in planning, designing and installing fitted kitchens. They are agents for Commodore Kitchens and AEG Kitchen and Laundry Appliances.

Recipe provided: Cheesy Fish Starter

 

Glenys Brundish, 2 Shepherd’s Down

Glenys Brundish’s husband Keith is manager of the Alresford branch of Barclays Bank.

Recipe provided: Mixed Fish Patés

 

Sue Clark, Studley House, Rosebery Road

Mrs Clark is a Research Nursing Sister at Alresford surgery looking into blood pressure. She is married to one of the Group Surgery doctors.

Recipe provided: Fish Paté

 

Ann Wadman, Chestnut House, Dorian Grove

Mrs Wadman is secretary of the Alresford Art Society, which welcomes anyone who is interested to talks on all aspects of the visual arts. Painting, enamelling, book binding and calligraphy are some of the subjects in this present season. Outings to places of interest and theatres are arranged regularly. The society meets on the first Friday of each month.

Recipe provided: Chicken Liver Paté

 

Jo Newbury, The Globe Inn, the Soke

Recipe provided: Stilton Paté

 

Hampshire Watercress Ltd

Mr Raymond Isaac began growing watercress on one acre of land in the 1940s. Today his company, Hampshire Watercress Ltd, with its trade name Vitacress, cultivates more then 50 acres, and is the biggest grower in the UK and possibly the world. They supply most major supermarkets.

Watercress has long been regarded as a natural source of important nutrients, and contains vitamins A and B and Riboflavin, plus mineral salts such as calcium and iron. It is ideal for diets, having only 4 calories per ounce.

If bought as a bunch, wash thoroughly and trim as required, shake off excess water and put in a closed polythene bag, or a container from which air has been excluded. Keep it, and pre-packed cress, in a refrigerator.

             Recipes provided: Tangy Starter, Slimmer’s Special, Stuffed Tomatoes,                 and Egg and Watercress Mousse

 

Jill Shackleton, 24 Arle Gardens

Jill Shackleton is Clerk to New Alresford Parish Council. As its only paid officer she is secretary and archivist, keeping all plans, deeds records, letters, writings etc, and carrying out all functions and duties imposed by statute, regulation or order.

The council’s duties are to provide public open spaces, recreational facilities, street lighting, bus shelters, litter bins, and seats, and to make byelaws. Possibly its most important role, however, is to bring local matters to the notice of the District Council and the Hampshire County Council.

Recipe provided: Stuffed Mushrooms

 

Jane Long, Linnets Cottage, Tichborne Down

Alresford Golf Club (the course is opposite her cottage) was founded in 1890 on downland owned by Sir Joseph Tichborne (of the family of the Greta Tichborne Inheritance case fame), the course was grazed by sheep until 1907.Charles Marks, of Woking Golf Club, was then employed as the first professional greenkeeper, but unfortunately he fell out with Sir Joseph and only stayed for two years.

golf club railway carriage

Thatched and wood clad, this was the Golf course Clubhouse, based round a railway carriage: picture from alresfordheritage.co.uk, and “The History of Alresford Golf Club” by ER Hedges, 1990.

A room at the ‘Cricketer’s’ served as a clubhouse at first (no ladies permitted of course); later, in 1953, a retired railway carriage was placed by the first tee, and used for 16 years. The present Clubhouse on the Cheriton road now serves a membership of over 400 and is a social and sporting centre.

Recipes provided: Mushrooms Provencales, and also Savoury Toasts

 

June Gregory, Grasshoppers, Grange Road

June Gregory has worked hard for Oxfam for many years. Her husband Peter is a partner in a firm of Solicitors whose offices in Broad Street were formerly part of the Old George [Inn]. This In was owned by Winchester College and built for them in about 1420. Twenty years later, in 1439, it was burnt down in one of Alresford’s Great Fires, and not rebuilt until a lease was granted in 1460.

In 424 it was referred to as the ‘St George’. Presumably it was then known colloquially as ‘the Old George’ and that gradually became its proper name.

The Inn was sold by the college to a brewery in 1914. It was then closed on 1st September 1927, after more than 500 years of innkeeping.

Recipe provided: Mushroom Savouries (‘Mock Snails’)

 

Vasanti Rogers, Chalk Hill, New Farm Road

Born of Indian parents in the city of Lucknow, where she spent her childhood, Vasanti studied Manipuri dance at the Vidyodaya School in Madras and was a student at Wellesley Collegeand Columbia University in the USA. She teaches yoga in Alresford and Winchester.

Vasanti is part-owner, with her husband Tom, of the antique shop ‘Rogers of Alresford’. They deal in English pottery, furniture and works of art. They also exhibit at major antiques fairs.

Recipe provided: Indian Spiced Meatballs (Kofra Balls)

Part 2 of 1980s Alresford, covering people who gave recipes for Soups, will follow!